King Kong Slot
King Kong Slot Review
A movie slot with a King Kong theme doesn’t need much introduction, but what makes this slot special is that it’s based on the actual Kong movie released in 2005. The reels feature the most important characters from the movie and the bonus rounds are packed with cinematic scenes taken straight from the movie itself. The backdrop to the reels plus the tension-filled introductory video clip create the impression that you’re sitting in the cinema watching Kong on the big screen. Kong comes with two different bonus rounds, free spins and a freezing wild. All in all this is great movie entertainment for the free spins slot player and for the player betting for real cash too.
Playtech have gone somewhat traditional with this game and included a range of regular symbols which are simply high value playing cards from 10 to Ace. These symbols are made of stone with a few jungle creepers hanging off them to add a bit of Kong-like atmosphere. Four characters from the Kong movie also appear on the reels: the dazzling blonde, Ann Darrow, as well as Carl Denham, Jack Driscoll and Captain Englehorn. The special symbols are the WILD – a snarling Kong, and the SCATTER – the “Kong, 8th Wonder of the World” slogan. All the symbols come with animations. The best of them can be seen on the WILD – Kong snarls and beats his chest.
Wagers and Jackpots
This movie slot has 5 reels and 20 paylines. You can bet between 0.01 and 5.00 $/€/£ in whichever currency you play in for real money. For real-cash players, this makes Kong an affordable slot with generous prizes. The highest paying symbol is the WILD, 5 of which on an active payline will bag you 3000 coins. The lowest paying symbol is the Jack Driscoll character; he pays out just 2 coins for 2 symbols on an active line.
Other ways to win
This movie slot is all about the other ways to win. Playtech have stuffed Kong full of bonus rounds and additional reward features:
- Two modes of play: JUNGLE MODE and BIG CITY MODE! Kong is two movie slots in one. There are two modes to the game and in each one the back drop to the reels and the symbols are slightly different. BIG CITY MODE is set in New York with Kong on the loose. You can see the city skyline at night in the background. JUNGLE MODE is of course set in the jungle, and the symbols and décor reflect the theme. The main advantage for players is that each mode has its own special bonus round and free games feature. When you trigger the bonus round in one mode, the reels will automatically switch to the alternative mode when that bonus round ends!
- SKULL ISLAND BONUS ROUND: this interactive bonus feature is triggered in JUNGLE MODE when 3 or more SCATTER symbols appear on the reels after a spin. You’ll be presented with a map of Skull Island. Click on the map to reveal the hiding places of Kong himself and of some of the other terrifying creatures that inhabit his homeland. Each creature is worth a different prize – of which the prize for Kong is the biggest. Match three creatures and your credits will be added to your total wins.
- CITY TOWER BONUS: this interactive bonus round begins with Kong on top of a tower in the city. He’s being attacked by three war planes and you must decide which of the planes he’s going to take down with a swipe of his mighty fist. Take down all three planes and the bonus is yours.
- WILD JUNGLE RESPINS – this free games feature is triggered in JUNGLE MODE when 3 snarling Kong WILD symbols appear on the reels after one spin. You’ll be rewarded with three free games, in which the WILD freezes whenever it appears, to boost your chances of a bigger win. Additional WILDS are added to the reels especially for this feature.
- WILD KONG RESPINS – this is the free games feature in BIG CITY MODE; with a twist. You’ll be rewarded with three free games; during each spin, different combinations of the reels will be completely filled with WILD symbols, which, since they substitute for everything except the SCATTER, significantly increase your chances of winning a prize.
Music, audio and graphics
The animations and graphics on the reels themselves are not as amazing as in some of the other slots Playtech has produced. However, the two modes of play with differing interactive bonus and free games features more than makes up for this.
The Last Word
One of the best movie slots, in terms of variety of special features, for free spins players. Nine out of ten.